I have always been very goal oriented. I tried hard in school to get good grades so I could go to college. I worked hard in college so I could get my Elementary Education degree. (Yes, sometimes I colored pages, but there was also hard work to be done.) But my ultimate goal was to have a family and be a mom. I am now living that goal and occasionally the thought pops in my head that I am not doing enough, I should have more goals, or, my favorite, I have wasted my education because I am "just" a stay at home mom. So I have been thinking a lot about this lately and I have come to the conclusion that I am so blessed to be able to stay home with my kids. It is a lot of work and some days I think it would be easier to have a job outside the home because then I would have something to show for my day. As a mom, you clean and feed and teach, but at the end of the day, the house is a mess (again), the kids are hungry (again) and your kids still aren't listening to you. But I feel that I was made to be a mom. That is my calling in life and I hope I can live up to it. So as for now, I am okay with not having any future goals of returning to school and teaching. I am okay with having nothing spectacular to report when asked "what have you been doing lately?" Maybe down the road I will make new goals, but right now I feel that after my kids are grown, I will have payed my dues and I am going to do what all retired workers should do. I am going to travel! Australia, here I come.
1 year ago

2 comments:
You are the best mom that I know.
I'll second that! You write so well, I thought about copying and pasting what you wrote onto my own blog, but we share friends and everyone would know that I copied you. I think you said what every mom feels at one time or another. (Me, mostly every day). It's hard but it's worth it. I try to remind myself on the harder days. You're a great mom! Maybe if I lose it my kids can come live with you?!
Post a Comment