Thursday, August 7, 2008

Boys vs. Girls

After having both a boy and a girl, I can't argue with the fact that boys and girls are just born different. I will have to admit, I don't like spiders, but I try not to act too "girly" when I see one (unless it crawls on me, but that's another story). I have really tried to teach my kids not to be afraid of bugs. Well, Sydney will kill a spider in the house for me, but she does not enjoy it too much. Connor on the other hand.... well, just watch.



Yes, that is his new pet beetle. As I was reading my book the other day, Connor came in the house saying "betty bug" (we can only guess is "pretty bug") and I thought nothing of it because lately both kids have been pretending that their fingers are bugs (do to "Itsy Bitsy Spider"). Well, I told Connor I would love to see his "pretty bug". Well, as he unfolded his hand, I saw a black antanea or leg, I didn't know which. I hurried and ran him outside and he showed me fully what was in his hand.
I remained very calm and once he put it down, I tried to hurry him back in the house, the plan being to go hide it later. (Connor loved his pet so much, there was no way it was walking away, if you know what I mean.) After trying to take it back in the house 2 more times, he finally left it on the ground. How do you explain to a little boy the reasons why he can't bring his new pet in the house? It was just a pretty bug!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

We have a no bugs in the house rule. If you find a bug in the house and the kids are awake, it gets taken outside (by them). If Chad's around and they aren't looking the bug might live. If you find a bug outside you can play with it, put it in the bug jar, etc. but it needs to stay outside. Seems to work so far. Hazel is begging to bring bugs inside though...I'm not bending. I think it's fun that they like them so much.

amydear said...

What a pretty bug! : ) The kids were carrying around slugs tonight. Ugh. Miss you guys! I can't believe Sydney is four already. Hope to see you sooner rather than later.

Laurie said...

Definitely no bugs in the house rule here too. I very much enjoy that Avery can kill spiders himself now when his Dad's not around...

Leslie said...

We love bugs at our house too! Tommy even took an ant with him to Daddy's office. Matt's assistants weren't thrilled about the pet though. . .