Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Dental Visit

I know, I know, Sydney is 4 and should have already had her first dental visit but if you have been around her, you would understand. She is so shy and so funny around new people. She also does not like doing new things, especially if they include putting things in her mouth and laying on a strange chair with bright lights shining in your eyes. (You know, being a dentalphobe myself, those chairs are quite alien abduction-like.) Just to give you an idea, our pediatrician was only able to see into Sydney's mouth maybe once and she had to use the fat popsicle stick to do it. I also had to hold her down everytime she wanted to look in her ears, whether she had an ear infection or not. So, there was no way we were taking her to the dental school. We knew this was going to be challenging.
We let Connor go first and he was a champ. He sat right down in the chair, but was a little weary when the chair started lay back. He did not like that much and every chance he got he sat right back up. But, he did let Daddy count and polish his teeth so that was a success. We then took him to the prize drawer and he loved that. Sydney did too, but then it was her turn. She dragged her feet a bit, but when I picked her up, she didn't throw a huge, spastic fit like I thought she would.
As you can tell, she wasn't too excited to be there, but John's assistant was great. She put in a movie about the dental office and I slowly left. I guess things went well after that because they were able to polish her teeth too and she had a huge smile when she was done. Too bad I didn't have my camera ready for that one. She was also showered with prizes as we were leaving. When we got home Sydney said, "I want to go back to the office. Will we be able to see it again?" I think we can count that as a success.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Nice! Sweet success! :)

Leslie said...

Good for you. Our kids sat still long enough for Matt to do an exam, but not long enough for a cleaning!