2 years ago
Sunday, March 9, 2008
My First Quilt
And maybe my last. A year or so ago, I was in a store that sold beautiful quilts. There was one in particular that had a jungle theme that I really wanted. I looked at the price and it was way out of my price range. I thought, "Good heavens, who would pay that much? This is ridiculous! How do they sleep at night?" Well, I am sorry for ever thinking that. I have to give props to all those quilt makers out there. First of all, it took me forever just to pick out the fabrics. I was in the craft store for about an hour and half before I decided to just get some that was already matched and bundled together. Cutting out the squares of course took forever. (There has got to be better way to do that.) Then, I have to believe that those who make quilts for a living do not have little children at home. It was hard to find the time to lay out the squares in the pattern that I wanted because my kids think that anything I lay on the floor is for them to jump on. Thanks to a friends and her willingness to give me directions on video, (reading the directions did not work for me) I was able to put it all together with few mistakes. So, needless to say, after many hours and a few days later, I was able to put my simple patterned quilt together, but of course, Connor does not want to use it. Oh well, maybe next winter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Wow, Mandie, I'm impressed. There are quite a few tricks to make quilting easier...talk to Abby.
Good work, Mandie. It looks very nice. I'll have to see it in person. My first quilt is at the quilter's right now. I'm kind of nervous to bind it and finish it off. And it cost a small fortune!
Yea! Good work! Quilting scares me. The thought of having to get every one of those four corners lined up perfectly just gives me the shivers. And that says nothing of the more complex designs!!
Post a Comment