Sunday, February 8, 2009

Powdered Donuts and Photography Lessons

I am reading The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby and am learning quite a few techniques. One thing I have always wanted to know how to do is make the background blurry, but the person in focus. I have read all about aperture, but didn't understand it well and what I did understand, I just don't remember. Well, in this book, he tells you how to set you camera to do it. No definitions. No explanations. No technical terms that only photographers understand. Just "do this.." I like that. Anyway, I was experimenting with my camera while my kids were eating donuts and I thought a few of them turned out okay. (and I just think my kids are so stinking cute and want to post pictures of them as much as I can!)

This is Connor's new look. He loves to raise his eyebrows at you if you talk to him.
That backgrounds blurry right? I will have to try it outside. Oh, and I will have to do my daughter's hair next time I guess.
Now, I haven't learned much about lighting yet. To be continued...

6 comments:

Pam Emmons said...

Nice job! And Connor is SO big!

Carolyn Hanson said...

Your background looks blurry to me!It's funny that you posted this because I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing. Jenni's been giving me a few tips and I'm reading a few books, so we'll see if I can produce anything worthwhile. I think your pictures look great! what kind of camera do you have?

Mindy said...

I really like Connor's new expression and you did a great job capturing it. I should have written down the aperture tips! You forget if you don't practice.

Leslie said...

Conner looks adorable, but my favorite pic was with Sydney and the messy hair!

Our Life, Our OHana, Our Luv... said...

great pics...i need to learn how to do that too! sounds like fun

amydear said...

Connor looks so much like you, and Syd looks so much like John, although I only see Kim! : ) Can't wait to see them in person.