When asking, "Please get me 3 _______" would it be Books of Mormon or Book of Mormons? John thinks it is the first because it is Mormon's book and you are getting multiple books. I think it is the second because that is the title of the book (the title is not Mormon) and it would be like saying hand me a couple Bibles or a few Green Eggs and Hams (we've been reading that a lot lately). As you can see, this is very important, so we could really use your help, especially you English people out there.
2 years ago

6 comments:
Travis is with you, Mandie. I sort of want to agree that it's preferred to pluralize on the whole title. Books of Mormon could also imply the books within the Book of Mormon.
HOWEVER
I think some prefer a rule I'm remembering. Is it sons-in-law or son-in-laws? I THINK the rule is that you pluralize the first noun.
TECHNICALLY
I think either is correct.
BUT
When in doubt the best bet is to avoid.
"Please get me 3 copies of the Book of Mormon"
Totally Books of Mormon, sorry Mandie! : )
Chad has the official say in this. It is neither. The correct way would be "3 copies of The Book of Mormon".
Looking over what Laurie said, the title "The Book of Mormon" is actually a noun phrase, so you wouldn't pluralize either word as it would change the name of the book.
And, to add a little heresy to this, when I (Chad) was in the MTC the MTC president explained it is "copies of The Book of Mormon." If you don't trust me after that, maybe you should just go pray about it....
I better take the computer back from Chad, Mandy. Hope you're all doing well. Chad loves this debate, only because he thinks he's right.
Well, it is probably Books of Mormon. I was thinking of the same example as Laurie: Sisters-in-law. however, I would take Chad's word for it. He gets paid for knowing these kinds of things!
I agree, definitely easier to say
"3 copies of the Book of Mormon", however, who is thinking far enough in advance to phrase their sentence that way? Not me! While I think "Books of Mormon" sounds better to the ear, I would say it is more gramatically correct to say "Book of Mormons" because you want multiple copies of the book with the title of "Book of Mormon" not multiple Books by Mormon... although I guess there's an argument for that too!
Wow. It seems you have smarter friends than I. Who can say! The "3 copies of the Book of Mormon" is the one I'm going to use. Or Books of Mormon, because it makes me feel smart.
Post a Comment